Goalie Goofs: Seymon Varlamov In Trouble

Picture by RJ Sangosti
Picture by RJ Sangosti

By Joe Schnebly

Avalanche goalie Seymon Varlamov has been through a lot of challenges during his eight year career in the NHL.

He has been with the Washington Capitals and the Colorado Avalanche with multiple playoff starts. However, Varlamov is facing a new challenge: third-degree assault and second-degree kidnapping.

On Oct. 30, Varlamov turned himself in to Denver Police. He spent the night in jail and appeared in court on Thursday for his bail hearing. Varlamov’s agent stated that he is “innocent of all these charges.”
Varlamov later posted $5,000 bail and could not drink or possess firearms. Varlamov was released to the Avalanche Thursday and was permitted to travel with the team to Dallas as long as he stayed with the team. If he tried to escape from Avalanche eyes, he would be sent back to Colorado immediately.

It is a stupid situation. Why would a goalie from the second best team in the NHL possibly ruin his career and his life by assaulting his girlfriend? Furthermore, why would Varlamov turn himself in just to later say he is innocent of the charges?

Varlamov has assaulted Evgeniya Vavrinyuk, his girlfriend, before. The couple has been dating for a year now and Varlamov has assaulted Vavrinyuk four times prior. Robert Abrams, Vavrinyuk’s attorney, says “this time wasn’t as serious” and “followed hours of drinking by Varlamov.” Varlamov was also reported to have said that he would have “beaten her (Vavrinyuk) further if they were in Russia.

Picture by RJ Sangosti
Picture by RJ Sangosti

If it “wasn’t as serious this time”, why hasn’t any news from the past three assaults shown up before? Why is Vavrinyuk still in a relationship with Varlamov after the first assault?

Varlamov started the Dallas game one-day after his court appearance and his release from jail. Varlamov should have been dealt with further. Maybe be suspended for a game or at least be fined for his actions. Until then,  Varlamov will probably keep getting away with this horrible crime.