Broncos Come Up Short

By Jack Stringer

For the Denver Broncos, the game was doomed from the start.

When the very first snap of the game floated past an unsuspecting league MVP and plummeted to the warmer-than-anticipated turf of Met-Life Stadium, the jaws and hearts of Broncos fans everywhere dropped with it. As Manny Ramirez’s miscued snap drifted past Peyton Manning and trickled into the end zone for an easy two points, the Broncos’ season effectively ended.

Courtesy Yahoo Sports

However not all was lost just yet. After holding the less than spectacular, yet consistent Seattle Seahawks offense to only a field goal, the Broncos were handed a glimmer of hope in the form of a measly five-point deficit to their foes. With Manning at the helm, it seemed as if Denver would surely rise to the occasion and navigate their way back into the game. The Seahawks defense—known around the league as the “Legion of Boom” (and now by Broncos fans as a lousy group of steroid-induced cheaters)—had other plans.

The second half was more of the same for the Broncos when the very first play, this time a kick-off return by Seattle wide receiver Percy Harvin, went for a Seattle touchdown. The first time the Broncos got the ball in the second half, they were down 29-0. A comeback here would have been the largest ever in a Super Bowl. However, it was not to be. The Bronco’s scored a pathetic eight points and turned the ball over to Seattle three times in the second half alone (counting turnovers on downs), and their season fizzled out with a 43-8 loss.After their first possession of the game lasted only one play and ended in a safety, the Broncos would have another four drives in the first half. In these four drives, spectators witnessed the occasional glimpse of the Manning that Broncos fans came to expect during his historical season. Other than that, Manning didn’t seem himself, throwing two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown by game MVP Malcolm Smith, and scoring no points to close out the half

The Seahawks offense and second-year quarterback Russell Wilson became what many have labeled them all year: game managers. Efficient and lacking any major mistakes, the Seahawks run-heavy offense closed out the game and kept a floundering Broncos team out of reach for the duration of this highly anticipated matchup. Ultimately, it was the defense that won the championship for the Seattle Seahawks.

malcolm smith csmoniter
Courtesy Christian Science Moniter

Not even the superior commercials, copious amounts of hot wings and other assorted Super Bowl delicacies, Bruno Mars, the puppy bowl or seeing Richard Sherman get injured could console the true Broncos fan after a thrashing that brought an abrupt end to a magical season. Peyton Manning staying for at least one more season will inspire the collective Broncos fan-base with one rejuvenating phrase that they will hold onto in the depression of the next few months. One phrase that many  fans began saying as early as the third quarter, a phrase that will come up in retort to the online and in person trash talking of Seahawks fans. The single phrase that every Broncos fan prays will come to pass: next year.

When it all comes down to it, the good guys lost. Personally, I blame it on Joe Namath and his obnoxious fur coat for messing up the coin toss, making us lose the toss, and ultimately the game. Some may blame the location, some may blame the refs, but I think that all Broncos fans can unite behind a common hope that Pete Carroll got hypothermia from his post-game Gatorade shower.