Boys Swimming Set to Start Spring Season

By Jack Stringer

As a typically mediocre season of basketball for Wheat Ridge High School comes to an end, the Farmer men’s Swim Team dives into their season with high hopes, a dedicated team and the opportunity to show what Farmers can do in the water.

For the Farmers, it is all about the “s” as they focus on mastering their strokes and swimming skills so they will speed through the water this season.  Superb senior swimmer Sean Sullivan, says his team will be “constantly practicing and trying to improve on certain techniques in order to move faster through the water” as they head into the season.

While his fellow teammates focus solely on their swimming, Sullivan is joined by sophomore Andy Frank to make up the diving faction of the Farmers Swim and Dive team. In past seasons, Sullivan has been the only diver on the team, and just having any divers really helps out the squad. Sullivan says, “most teams, especially 4A, don’t have any divers, so diving gives our team a big boost in points.”

Fellow senior swimmer Bret Kindsvatter agrees with his teammate and thinks that the duo of divers will hopefully make the team “do pretty decently this year.” Kindsvatter and Sullivan join a group of talented seniors who will lead the team this year. Not only did the dive team improve in numbers, but the team as a whole improved thanks to dedication throughout the year by a number of both senior and underclassmen swimmers.

The high school swimming starts and finishes during the spring semester, but for the steadfast swimmer, club swimming—which is unaffiliated with high school athletics—never stops. “A lot of seniors have improved in the offseason by doing year-round swim” said Sullivan, who also thinks a few underclassmen will step up after also taking no offseason.

Primed and ready to get wet with a bunch of other all-but naked men, the Farmer swim team’s season starts on April 4.