Lady Farmers Look Forward to a Great Season

By Joe Schnebly

Last year, the girls lacrosse team came close to a state title but lost to Denver East in the opening round of the tournament. “We had the opportunity to really prove ourselves by making it to the playoffs,” said junior Amanda Malecki.

The team did not have a good season last year. They went 6-8 overall, and it took them three games to get their first win of the season. This year’s team plans to try and hit the ground running from the first whistle.

One of the key roles last year was the use of the team’s seniors. This year, the majority of the defense has been lost due to last year’s seniors graduating. However, the team still has a strong offense and strong midfield.  “Our team looks solid,” said junior, Ryann Pierce. The ladies have to figure out how to keep possession of the ball when they transfer over from offense to defense. The team still needs to come out strong when the first whistle blows, win the draw and score a quick goal to get an early lead.

Last year’s team did something that hadn’t been done for eight years: the Lady Farmers took down the Golden Demons. Another stand-out game was a 17-6 win against Conifer where the girls shut out the Lobos for the entire first half.  If they can play every team in the league like they did Golden and Conifer, the Farmers should easily go further into the state tournament than they did last year.

To be an effective team, they have to jell and work together as one big unit. They have to have a great attitude towards each other and for the game. Pierce put it best when she said; “We are united and can relate to one another instead of separating ourselves by level of play.”