New Sport Comes To The Farm

By Joe Schnebly

Many people know about spring sports like baseball, lacrosse and swimming. However, this year, a new sport is coming to Wheat Ridge that will surely “knock the ball through a hole,” so to speak.

That’s right boys and girls, croquet is coming to The Farm. The game that is popular with the elderly and the “proper english,” is coming to a country that could not care less about it. Currently, Wheat Ridge is home to Colorado’s only team, but they are hoping that other schools will follow suit.

There are no coaches for the team yet and no one in the school, except a select few, know about this new sport. Not even the administrators know.

However, the people that do know about this new sport, think it’s a wonderful idea. “I think croquet will bring culture to the school,” said senior Josh Borga. Sophomore Alex Rea agrees with Borga and “wishes that more people will sign up forthe team as soon as a possible.”

“You don’t have to know how to play. If you can can take a wooden mallet and hit balls with it, you already know everything about the sport,” said Rea. “Just get your ball through the posts and to the end of the course in the least amount of strokes, and you’re gold.”

If the school board agrees on the new sport, the school will get $5,000 to spend on the players equipment and uniforms. Each person will get a pair of blue and gold checkered slacks and a grandma like sweater with the same design. The players will also get their own set of mallets, balls and posts to play with. The team will practice on the field next to the soccer field from 3-5 everyday.

Borga and Rea both hope to see more people become interested in the sport. Rea goes on to say, “ We are both looking forward to play croquet for this great school and see the team build into a real winner. Our efforts will put the pressure on other schools to also bring croquet to their school.”