Farmer’s Homecoming Shot Down by Colts

By Joe Schnebly

It’s a new year at the Farm, and it means that the homecoming festivities have already come and gone.

There are many things that make Homecoming Week, one of the best weeks of the year; the dance and of course the Homecoming Game!

The football team had to put a lot behind them from all of the drama from last year. This year, the team has a new coach and a new way of taking care of business.

In their first two games, the Farmers outscored their opponents 91-0 and had 834 total yards. This maybe one of the best starts to a season that the Farmers have had in the last couple of years. The Farmers then got a much needed bye week to help prepare them for what could be the hardest team they face this year: the Pueblo South Colts. The weather would also play a key role during this Sept. 11 night.

Both teams came into the game undefeated; one team would have an unsatisfactory outcome. The game started off with a quick scoring drive for the Colts. The Farmers tried to comeback, but they gave the ball right back to the Colts, giving them a 14-0 lead. It took them a while, but the Farmers finally scored a touchdown. However, they failed to get the point after.

The second quarter then turned into a cold nightmare for both the Farmers and the home crowd. The Colts outscored the Farmers 16-7 at the end of the second, leaving the Colts up 30-13 at halftime.

Wheat Ridge got the ball to start off the second half but then lost their momentum, giving the ball right back to the Colts, which ensued a Pueblo touchdown. The Farmers then came back to score their third touchdown of the game but it would not be enough to comeback against the Colts. The final score was 37-20.

The home crowd was disappointed, but not as disappointed as the team. It was a cold, wet, and miserable night for the Farmers. They had too many penalties in the first half, which really hurt Wheat Ridge. The Farmers couldn’t only contain the Colts, but they couldn’t contain themselves. That is why Wheat Ridge will have to make a comeback and practice harder for their game against Dakota Ridge.