PBS’s “MAKERS” Shows Inspirational Females

PBSs MAKERS Shows Inspirational Females

By Rachel Vigil

Women have been shown prejudice in many of our societies throughout human history.

A documentary premiered last year on PBS called “MAKERS: Women Who Make America” about inspirational women who have been forgotten or persecuted. Due to its success, a second season has premiered this year. Instead of one long documentary, it is now airing in a weekly episode format.

A special showing of “MAKERS: Women in Space” was at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science on Oct. 7. This showing also included an informative panel discussion between several  female aerospace engineers. I had the lovely opportunity to attend this event

After food was served, the episode “MAKERS: Women in Space” was shown. The episode itself was entertaining and insightful.The show told many little known women’s stories who were pioneers in the aerospace field. For example, Poppy Northcutt, one of the first to work in NASA’s mission control, was a of the key components of NASAs first launches who was largely overlooked. Overall, the show was captivating.

Afterwards, a panel discussion was led by Andrea Casias, an aerospace engineer, Amelia Rose Earhart, an aviatrix, Marleen Martinez, also an aerospace engineer, and Sara Wolitzky, one of the producers for the “MAKERS” documentary.

The panel took pre-submitted questions as well as a few from the audience. They all spoke of their struggles in and getting to the aerospace industry. Everyone on the panel had experienced discouragement from the engineering field. According to them, all you need to excel in engineering is hard work and repetition. Overall the show was interesting, sad, and entertaining all at the same time. Listening to the first female astronauts’ stories about the struggles of things as simple as their space suits will keep you hooked. I would recommend watching “MAKERS: Women and Business” on Oct. 28 and “MAKERS: Women and Politics” on Nov. 4.