Golfball Frenzy: Over Par and Underwhelming

By Corey O’Leary

Chances are if you are a student of Wheat Ridge High School, you’ve heard of the The Golf Ball Frenzy, a fundraiser that over the past month has been constantly promoted in various ways throughout the high school.

This includes posts on Wheat Ridge Facebook pages, mentions on the daily announcements and emphasis on the the prizes available through signing up for the fundraiser.

However, the turnout of students actually participating in the Golf Ball Frenzy has been less than anticipated, with only 35 percent of the $20,000 dollar goal achieved.When asked if he knew why the turnout was so disappointing, Assistant Principal Nick DeSimone, and the man heading up the fundraiser, seemed to be at a loss, “I don’t, I wish I did… We have incentives with PS4’s and Go-Pros, those seem like items students would like.” The lack of student participation may have been caused by the lack of knowledge students had about the specifics of the fundraiser.

When asked about various aspects of the fundraiser students often struggled to come up with accurate information. “ I honestly have no idea,” replied junior Ryan McNierney when asked about how to sign up and buy a golf ball. Similar responses were given when other students were questioned on how to become eligible to win the prizes, what the money that was raised would be going to, and when the fundraiser takes place.

DeSimone explained the reason for the fundraiser: “ We’re looking to try and find a way to get funds in here… We’d like to try and make the cafeteria somewhere kids would want to go, hang out, do their homework, that kind of thing.” He went on to add, “A portion of money would go there, a portion would go to athletics, because I have so many costs trying to maintain facilities.”

However, with only 35 percent of the anticipated money, it is unclear how much money will go into fixing up the cafeteria and how much money will go to the athletic department. What is clear, is that future fundraisers need to work on new methods to get students excited and participating so we can reach our goals and improve the school.