Freaking Boring: American Horror Story Freakshow Disappoints

Courtesy+of+sofabana.com+
Courtesy of sofabana.com

In the world of American Horror Story we have so far survived the Murderhouse, escaped the asylum and protected the coven. Now the hit TV show has embarked on a whole new adventure, Freakshow.

This season takes place in the small town of Jupiter, Florida during the 1950s. The premiere episode started with a mysterious homicide that is alleged to have been committed by conjoined twins Dot and Bet both played by Sarah Paulson, who has been a lead in the show for the past three seasons. And like always the real star of the show is the renowned actress Jessica Lange, who plays the ring leader of the show, Elsa. Like always Lange’s role is the same as it has been in the past three seasons, a chain-smoking, manipulative, troubled woman who is ruthless in achieving her goals. The only separation between Elsa and all the other AHS characters Lange has played is that now her signature southern, raspy, haunting voice has been replaced with a raspy German one.

The main antagonist of this season seems to be a homicidal clown named Twisty, so if you have a clown phobia this season isn’t for you. Freakshow in general seems to have a hidden social commentary, like Glee which is written and produced by the same man Ryan Murphy Freakshow is about being an outsider and being attacked for it. The freaks are targeted by the town people because they are different. This sort of social commentary isn’t the only thing that makes the show similar to Glee. In this premier episode Jessica Lange has a wild singing number as she performed David Bowie’s Life on Mars, in full Ziggy Stardust regalia.

So far in this season I can say I am not really invested. I think the premier episode was a little lack-luster compared to past seasons. I also find that this season is a little over sexualized even the opening credits show inappropriate actions taking place. All I can hope for is that the season will get better with each episode.