Girls Look to Swim Past Competion

Girls+Look+to+Swim+Past+Competion+
Girls Swimming
By Efren Acevedo

By Efren Acevedo

As the fall sports season comes to an end, the winter sports season begins to creep up closer and closer. The winter sport athletes will have their hands full with physicals, registrations and training.

The girls swimming team has already began their training camp to prepare for this year.
For the returning swimmers, this is the time to improve their technique and skills. For the newcomers, they will have to learn the basic strokes and learn how to not drown. Regardless of how great swimmers are on the team, they, too, will put in hard work to improve.

Last year, only five to six people swam at state. Coach and chemistry teacher Dean Miller hopes for the same or better for this year. This year the team has two outstanding newcomers, freshman Emma Sappey and Lauryn Leslie. Overall the team displays great enthusiasm and confidence during their camp.

Senior Hanna Leslie has been swimming for nine years and has been on the high school team since freshman year. “I’m not really ready, but I’ll get there” says Hanna. Although Hanna feels that she isn’t ready, she feels that the team will be mentally and physically ready by the time their first meet comes.

“I enjoy being a part of the team, mostly because I love the team dinners and getting to know the girls on the team,” says senior Kate Baier. Based from this you can tell that the girls swim team has a strong team bond and it will only grow stronger. Their first meet is on Dec. 5.