American Sniper: What’s the Point?

American Sniper: Whats the Point?

By Alex Rea

Clint Eastwood’s most recent film American Sniper has ignited some controversy.

Based on the the autobiography of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, viewers follow the soldier through the challenges on and off the battlefield. The film brought in over $90 million in its first three days, so obviously it reached the eye of many people quickly. Some were upset with the fact that the movie did not point out that we were in the wrong country. But that was easily denied when looking at the movie’s setting from the perspective of a soldier.

Chris Kyle had 160 confirmed kills out of a possible 235, American Sniper vividly displays countless firefights with numerous casualties. The movie depicts Kyle, who is played by Bradley Cooper, as a true patriot more concerned about the people he didn’t save, than the ones he did. During one scene of the movie, Kyle is watching the TV when the 9/11 attacks are being reported. In that one scene viewers see Kyle’s world fall apart just by the look in his eyes. I think this was included in the movie to help

make what he did on the battlefield seem more “justified” because he would eventually be deployed after this scene.

Kyle was flat-out crazy. In his own book he states the killing as “fun” which was a key factor that the film missed. I can see why Eastwood left it out; he could not describe the protagonist as a thrilled murderer. But people should realize it is pretty common for a soldier to deal with similar symptoms within the confinements of the battlefield. I think a better message would have been sent across if Eastwood included persona that was depicted in the book. People would become more aware of the mental state of our soldiers and how they need help.

Normally I would jump on this movie for not sending the right message, but you tell me, what message can you send? Wa

download

r is a negative thing in every sane mind, so we cannot paint it any differently. This is in the perspective of a soldier; he had nothing to do with the invasion of the wrong country, he simply followed his orders.

The movie has a beautiful depiction of what happens when a soldier is on the homefront. From family issues to battle reminders, it is clear that everyday veterans have an everyday struggle.

My hope is that people treat this as a beacon to help our veterans, since they put everything on the line for all of us. We instead shift focus on our phones and social media and only admit our guilt to try and get some Facebook likes. There are almost 22 million projected veterans; 20% of the veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and depression. Fifty percent of them don’t seek treatment, so there is a war problem within our own country. So far, we don’t make a good case for future soldiers. You can lay down everything for us, but after that we will look the other way.

Overall American Sniper is a good movie with an accurate description of the battlefield and the problems endured due to the war. Now it could have been great if it did not lack purpose or a message, everyone will say it’s a great movie because of the firefights and the 2,100 yard shot by Kyle. But what does that tell us about America? We like action to cover up our real problems.