Cupid’s Comedy Cabaret Creates Chuckles

By Heidy Ornelas

The Cupid’s Comedy Cabaret is a comedy show that happens by once every year here at Wheat Ridge High School.

This year was the 20th anniversary for Cupid’s. Held every spring, the Cupid’s production captured all the comedy of friendship where laughter was counted on. Viewings were May 6, 7, 8, and 9.

For only $5 you could see the satirical comedy. This year the stage was regular, unlike previous years where the set of the play had been presented toward the backstage.  Director Autumn Ehrhardt opened the showcase dressed as a nun named Sister Marie Catherine O’Flanagan. Without getting out of character, Ehrhardt opened the comedy with an English accent because she later on presented in a scene called the Catholic school.

“It was a lot of fun,” Ehrhardt said, “It was kind of hard because it sometimes took me out of my director’s role, but I enjoyed the dynamic and seeing things from their (the student’s) perspective.”

The skits aren’t just written by a single person; each and every student in the show participated by writing their own skit.

“We brainstormed topics and if we really like a topic then we could help write it,” said junior Elizabeth Gomez.

“The inspiration began as a more of a television kind of theme, but as it moved on, it went on to be a more religious theme, which also turned out to become more as friendship” said Ehrhardt. This team participation adds to the liveliness of the school, which brings out the explosive fun Cupid’s brings to the Farm.

Junior Aryana Valdez said her favorite skit was “Ghetto girls,” which was one of the skits where the audience seemed to laugh the most. The skit consisted of two “ghetto” girls Flawnduh and Shaintail and how Flawnduh needed a man and Shaintail (her best friend) was trying to help her get a man as soon possible. Shaintail offers the new guy who is smart, yet, cool. He ends up not liking Flawnduh one bit, due to thow they were pushing him into going on a date with her during class, yet alone he doesn’t go on dates with “ghetto” girls whom are not his type. Valdez said it was her favorite skit because it showed a realistic portrayal of teenagers.

The audience laughed a lot and enjoyed Cupids, so that just simply means the actors did their job well by remaining relatable to the audience.

Every year the cast sets a goal that they want to perfect.“This year it was professionalism,” said Erhardt. “These guys really committed towards achieving that and making their audience laugh.”

If you missed Cupid’s this year, be sure to attend (or even take the class if you’ve had a beginning acting class). The 21st anniversary is bound to be hilarious!