2015 Summer Movie Preview

Photo courtesy of imdb.com

By Daniela Santos

The year has gone full circle once again and now summer movie season is back!

With so many great titles to choose from here are some suggestions of what films you should watch with your friends that can give you the most nerdy discussions, laughs, and overall entertainment value.

Mad Max: Fury Road—May 15 Rated-R
is about a dystopian future without the redundant young adult fiction themes. It stars a badass Tom Hardy, a bald Charlize Theron, and a psychotic-looking Nicholas Hoult. This film is expected to be the first of many new Mad Max installments, and there should be no worries about who will be leading these films for George Miller—who wrote and directed the original Mad Max films of the early 80s—will take his rightful place once again.  I highly recommend you watch the trailer because it will truly convince you that this is a film that deserves to be watched on the big screen.

Photo courtesy of imdb.com
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

Tomorrowland—May 22 PG

Now I could bore you with the information on who’s starring in this Disney film (cough, cough, George Clooney), or the plot about this sci-fi adventure, but I’d rather convince you to watch this film by simply introducing you to the director and writer—Brad Bird. This man is responsible for bestowing to the world The Iron Giant, Ratatouille, and The Incredibles. He is also behind the blockbuster Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Plus he also turned down the chance to write and direct Star Wars: Episode VII for Tomorrowland instead, no big deal.

Photo courtesy of imdb.com
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

Jurassic World—June 12 PG-13

Guardians of the Galaxy’s Chris Pratt is set to star in another summer blockbuster. This time he will trade his intergalactic spaceship for a pre-historic theme park. It’s been over 20 years since the original Jurassic Park and this time the park is finally running and has a man-made dinosaur. This film appears to be very exciting and may hopefully redeem the franchise from the previously disappointing sequels.  Also, how cool would it be to watch dinosaurs in IMAX 3D?

Photo courtesy of imdb.com
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

Inside Out—June 19 PG

This is the Pixar film that longtime fans like me are anxious to see. There has not been a new Pixar film since 2013’s Monsters University and there has not been an original, non-sequel, since 2012’s Brave. So this movie about the emotions of a distressed little girl is a long time coming and have audiences very high expectations, especially with how Pixar’s most recent repertoire is not holding up the way it used to. All in all, the film appears to be in the good hands of an all star cast (Amy Poehler, Mindy Kaling, Bill Hader, etc.) and the writer and director of Pixar classics—Monsters Inc. and UP—Pete Docter. Inside Out looks funny and heartfelt and should be a wonderful film for kids and adults alike.

Photo courtesy of imdb.com
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

Ant-Man—July 17 PG-13

Marvel studios is treating movie goers with two films this summer—Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. Of course everyone will watch the extremely anticipated sequel to The Avengers but let’s not underestimate Ant-Man just yet. After all, this is going to be the film that will kick off phase three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and will give us a taste for the future Marvel projects that will also have weird heroes. The film looks fun and comic book-esque, and who better to star in this than the always funny Paul Rudd? Like last summer’s Marvel hit Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man is predicted to be a pleasant surprise.