Top 20 Seniors: Brandon Saunders

By Vanessa Sims

A “rare but desirable case of a buff nerd” is what Top 20 Senior Brandon Saunders is known to be.

He’s also an athlete, an engineer, an honorable student, and a mathlete! Many may know him as either a varsity football player, or even one of the incredible members of the STEM program. How he came to be in the Top 20 is no wonder.

Saunders says, “I am influenced most by my family because I consider them to be good role models and they hold me to high standards.” He also goes on to say, “I think my integrity serves me well; it keeps me out of tricky situations and gains me respect.”

Saunders is not only a dreamer, but a goal setter as well. His biggest dream is to one day travel the world, visiting the many places he not only reads about, but the places he hears about. He wants to be brave and try all the different foods…well almost all!

Brandon loves hitting the gym and keeping healthy. If he was granted one wish, it would be to weigh 270 pounds in muscle and to be crazy fast!

To Saunders, high school went pretty well. “Looking back, I’m pretty happy with the way high school has gone.” Though he’s satisfied with how school worked for him and is happy, he says that he will “miss the togetherness that we share here. Everyone’s in the school at the same time, and for the most part, we’re all making it a good time.”

His most embarrassing moment at Wheat Ridge happened during his second year. “ I was playing scout defensive end against a 260 pound guard and a 315 pound tackle. I was about 150 pounds. When the ball was snapped, I stepped forward, slipped, and was sandwiched between the 315-pound tackle and the ground.”

Photo by Brandon Saunders
Photo by Brandon Saunders

He loves keeping himself busy with ping pong, chess, weightlifting, and much more. Along with his awesome hobbies, after graduation he plans on working out, working in general, and spending a lot of time outside, attempting to build a go-kart.

Saunders’ advice to future Farmers, “Don’t be stupid.” And to Coach Stacey Coryell, “You’re a true Farmer, Coach. Make the younger guys feel the pride. Make them Farmers, too.” What an impact his coach must’ve had!

So what’s the “end game” for our active senior? Colorado School of Mines! There, he plans to study Mechanical Engineering. We wish him good luck on his journey in life!