Women’s World Cup is Kickin’ It in Canada

Womens World Cup is Kickin It in Canada

By Caroline McDaniel

Taking place in Canada this year, the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup will kick off at four o’clock Mountain Standard time on Saturday June 6,  at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton with Canada and China going head to head in the preliminaries.

This tournament will have six different locations: Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, and Moncton. The competition is divided up randomly each year and into groups with four teams. Groups A, B, C, D, E, and F; this year the United States was selected into group D alongside Australia, Sweden, and Nigeria. Ranked second in the world, the U.S. is going up against Nigeria in 33rd, Australia in tenth, and Sweden in fifth. Some would call this the group of death, considering three of the four teams are ranked in the top 10 in the world.

In the 2015 Algarve Cup the U.S. Women’s team went to the end with three wins and a tie. Overall in friendlies, and their tour in 2014, the Women’s National team is looking like they have come to be a pretty strong and vicious team that some should be worried about, especially with their rock solid lineup. The women’s national team just recently released their new uniforms, and are asking for support throughout the tournament by doing interviews, show appearances and over all getting the word out all over the place on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more.

These ladies have been training hard for many months on end and will continue to the very day the tournament begins. The dedication and heart of the U.S. Women’s National team will take them far and hopefully a gold medal just like they did back in 2012 in the finals against Japan. Be sure to catch the first game on June 8 at 5:30 on Fox Sports!