Student Safety Surpasses Doubt over Teacher Weapons

By Alyssah Shear

The Second Amendment states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Many states are using the Second Amendment in order to fight for their citizens’ rights to carry concealed weapons on campus. A total of eight states, including Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin have passed a law that allows carrying a concealed weapon on postsecondary campuses.
I believe that each and every state should contain that right but there should be restrictions. Teachers should be required to take a certain amount of training and they should not be allowed to have unsafe holsters. Throughout the United States people are debating if guns should be allowed on school campuses due to all the recent violence.
School shootings are becoming more common by the day, from Columbine High School to Sandy Hook Elementary, the violence continues. Although this is the sad truth, there may be a way for the school system to put an end to it. School shootings won’t be solved until teachers are allowed to carry guns on school grounds.
With the violence towards schools, teachers have to think about what they would do in a case of an attack, and some believe that with the right to carry weapons school shootings would occur less often. If teachers were allowed to carry weapons the attacks would go down because they would have more defense and most criminals wouldn’t walk into a building filled with weapons.
However, some people strongly disagree. “I think that if teachers had a weapon, there would be a greater chance of somebody getting hurt because students would have closer access to a weapon. So short answer, no,” says Sadie Strunk, a senior.
The U.S. is having to take the risk of deciding how to keep their schools safe, and many people are frightened by the consequences of allowing weapons in school, while others are waiting for it to put an end to the shootings that keep occurring. I would personally feel a lot safer if i knew there was more defense in school.