Lombardi Trophy Back In Denver

By Devin Howard

Super Bowl 50.

It was a low-scoring game for the Carolina Panthers and a defensive showcase for the Denver Broncos. The Broncos won 24-10 and won their 3rd Lombardi trophy their first since 1999.

The Broncos went into the Super Bowl as the underdogs because of how hectic their season was. On the other hand, Carolina was the sure-fire winner in most people’s eyes. But that was not the case after the game Broncos country stood tall with the victory.

Statistically the Panthers had the advantage in their favor with  Cam Newton throwing 18 completions on 40 attempts, 265 passing yards, and one interception,  Jonathan Stewart had 118 rushing yards and Carolina had a combined three fumbles compared to Denver’s  Peyton Manning, completing 13 out of 22 throws for 141 passing yards, one interception, and a fumble, and C.J Anderson had 90 rushing yards.

The Broncos also had seven sacks for a total of -68 yards and the Panthers had five for a total of -37 yards.

Denver receiver/ punt returner Jordan Norwood also set a record  for the longest punt return in Super Bowl history with a 61-yard return.

But the story of the game was Denver’s MVP Von Miller. He had a pretty busy day tearing the offense apart and making game winning plays with 6 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 forced fumble, and 1 pass deflection. Denver this year showed that defense really does win championships.