Warriors Play in Style

By Lily Fraser

Some of the boys at Wheat Ridge have been playing on a club rugby team.

Wheat Ridge High School doesn’t have its own rugby team, so the boys have decided to move on to the local club team and to play their rough sport there. The rugby team, Wheat Ridge Warriors, have been trying hard all season.

The experienced players have been teaching the younger and less experienced boys about the sport and making sure they learn well. During their practices, next to the girls’ soccer team on the turf field, they work on drills and throwing so that they can get that perfect pass. It is an extremely physical sport as well, including injuries with broken teeth or concussions. But, even though it’s a rough sport, the boys enjoy playing it no matter what.

Jim Opperman, coach of the Wheat Ridge Warriors has been teaching and helping these boys out during practices, yelling them advice from the sidelines during the rough patches of the games. The boys are also looking stylish beyond belief on the field in their multi-colored shirts and tight shorts.

The boys are all extremely supportive of each other, comforting the few freshman on the team. Even some of the boys on the opposite teams have complimented on some of our boys’ features. Boys on the team, including Nik Schnebly, have gotten some nice compliments from the other boys, from skill level to passes.

Boys such as the Moss brothers and Tyler Break, a  freshman, have been going strong and keeping their chins up and chests out as they walk out onto the field to play against the opposing team for the victory for the Wheat Ridge Warriors.

Photo by JJ Terry
    Photo by JJ Terry