Perlmutter Announces Bid for Governor

U.S. Rep. Ed Perlmutter, an Arvada Democrat, raises his hands in the air before announcing he's running for governor of Colorado in the 2018 election on Sunday, April 9, 2017, at the Natural Grocers store in Golden. Courtesy of Ernest Luning/The Colorado Statesman

Joey Huckaby, Staff Writer

Congressman Ed Perlmutter recently announced his bid for the 2018 Governor’s election, on April 9, 2017 at the Natural Grocers in Golden Colorado.

Perlmutter has been the Congressman for the 7th Congressional District since 2006, which consists of Arvada, Wheat Ridge, and Lakewood. Perlmutter has an excellent track record, winning over 50% of the vote in every re-election bid.

Perlmutter is currently running against fellow Democrats, such as Noel Ginsburg, Sen. Mike Johnston, and Cary Kennedy. Republican George Brauchler is the main Republican in the Governor’s pool thus far.

The closest Perlmutter has come to defeat was against Joe Coors in 2012. Coors campaign spent nearly $5 million on campaigning against Perlmutter, while Perlmutter only spent $3 million. Perlmutter’s race against Coors was closely watched by both parties. Perlmutter received 53.5% of the popular vote, while Joe Coors received 40.8% of the popular vote.

Many Congressmen and women, are sick of the gridlocked Congress that they have  had to work with. Perlmutter is one of those fed up Congress members. “Some of the most important issues of our time are deadlocked in D.C. right now. That’s why continuing strong leadership at the state level is more important than ever,”  said Perlmutter. A very active member in the Democratic Party, he recently served as a superdelegate during the 2016 primary and pledged his vote for Hillary Clinton.

Perlmutter has lived in Jefferson County his whole life. He attended Jefferson High School and later the University of Colorado. His long-standing campaign slogan, “Our Neighbor… Our Voice,” has been a strong political slogan in Jefferson County for many years. He is the father of three daughters and has supported many bills in Congress supporting women’s rights.

Perlmutter sits on important committees such as the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. He also serves on the House Committee on Financial Services. His wife Nancy Perlmutter, taught math at Wheat Ridge High School and continues to substitute for math teachers at the Farm.

When asked about her husband’s bid for Governor Nancy Perlmutter said, “We are looking forward to an invigorating campaign, and we look forward to learning the Coloradans dialog”

The election for Colorado Governor will take place on November 6, 2018.