Principal Selection Committee to Decide Future of School

Destiny Ramirez, Staff Writer

It is the year 2017, and Principal Griff Wirth has announced that he is retiring.

Following Wirth are sophomore assistant principal Nick DeSimone and junior assistant principal Ken Trager. Wirth has been the principal at Wheat Ridge for 10 years, how will they find the right person to fill his spot?

To answer the question that is on everyone’s mind starts with Wirth’s boss setting a meeting with the staff here at Wheat Ridge and explain to them the process. Then, they will build a committee that will contain a representative for the staff, a representative for the community, some district representatives, and a representative for the students. When this committee is being built they will have a worldwide post on educational sites that will let other educators know that there is a position open at Wheat Ridge High School.

When educators have submitted their applications and resume, there will be a screening process that they will be sent through. The applicants that advance in this process will be sent to the Wheat Ridge committee. When the committee gets the applications they will determine who is passing through the interview section.

The interview section has parts to it. Wirth stated “The interview process can add up to be four hours long.” It will start with a live interview then will go on to a tour of the school and students, and follow with a small group and questions will be asked by the applicant, like how the culture of the school, is the school’s data, the student’s performances, etc.

The interview is several hours long, so they can get a good feel of the school and are able to make the best decision for the school and the students. When the committee feels like they have found the right candidate for this position, towards the end of May, Wheat Ridge would have then assigned a new principal.