Varsity Girls Soccer Heads Off to the Playoffs

Jude Kerrihard, Staff Writer

Following a 7-3 loss to Valor Christian on May 2nd, the Wheat Ridge Varsity Girls soccer team played their last regular season game against Northridge High School last Friday.

Taking home a 5-1 victory, the team will be going into the playoffs as the 2nd placed seed.
Senior Alex Nillen picked up two goals to add on to her 36 point season and led the way for the Farmers in their most recent victory. On the back end, sophomore goaltender Logan Duford picked up her 12th win of the season, finishing with a 12-2 record and racking up seven shutouts on the year. A notable performance from Duford for sure.

I spoke with the team’s head coach, Dan Watkins, after their triumphant victory last week. After mentioning that he was happy that the team bounced back after the loss to Valor Christian, “Our ball control and possession is definitely starting to click, which allows us to break down our opponents in their defensive zone and create scoring chances.,” said coach Watkins. “Our opponent was very immense. We were aware of their 10-4 record when coming into that game and were able to match their fight and take home a W.”

The team, although coming off of a tough stretch in their last few games, are going into the playoffs with some fire. The team will face off against the #31 seeded Thompson Valley High School on May 10 at Lakewood Memorial Stadium. If they win, they will face the winner of the game between Niwot and Erie high schools.

The end of the season is near, and coach Watkins mentioned the seniors that would be leaving the team in the interview I had with him. Of the 15 players on the roster, five of them are seniors that will be parting ways at the end of the year. Watkins says that the seniors “make up a big part of the team” and “they will be greatly missed.”

The end of the regular season has come for the Varsity Girls soccer team, but the playoffs have just begun. We wish them the best of luck in their playoff run.