A Night to be Saved: Farmers Dance the Homecoming Night Away

By Sterling Martinez

On the eve of Saturday Sept.23, Farmers united on the dance floor and had an awesome night at the Wheat Ridge High School Homecoming Dance that took place from 7p.m. to 11p.m.

The theme was called “A Night to be Saved,” and referred to superheroes, almost everyone looked audacious.

The Farmers who had pre-purchased their tickets were greeted by French and ticket attendant teacher Becky Ugander and then continued on their way to the dance. The Farmers who decided to buy their tickets at the door had to wait in line before getting into the dance. The ladies had the option to put their handbags and heels into the free coat check, where guys could also check whatever they had and didn’t want to worry about on the dance floor.

The attire was semi-formal, and, for the most part, ladies kept it classy while the guys looked like strapping young lads, but if you asked adults in attendance they would tell you that “a few young Farmers should have spent a little while longer on their ensemble and worked on the appropriateness of their outfits for the dance.”

The music was good to dance to. The DJ had songs for every Farmer in attendance. There were dances for everyone to get into like the “Cupid Shuffle” and “Cha Cha Slide” along with some music like “Thrift Shop” that ladies liked to twerk or grind to. The DJ also played some slow songs that the couples could dance to such as Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man.”

If dancers really “got down” and needed some libations they could go to the lounge area and buy water from science teachers Toni Budoff and Phoebe Schroeder. If the dancers were truly exhausted they could take a seat and watch a super hero movie which was projected on the wall of the room.

If Farmers got too overheated from the body heat of all in attendance they could just take a stroll to the patio area that was right outside and across the hall from the gym. The night was cool and had a light breeze so it really helped cool the dancers off.

The school provided everything one would have needed during those four hours of the evening. All in all everyone had a good time. A large handful of dancers left around ten, but the rest continued to dance the night away until the supervising adults flicked on the stunning lights at 11p.m.