After Ruling the City and the Classroom, What will Mr. DiTullio do next?

Photo+By%3ASterling+Martinez+
Photo By:Sterling Martinez

By Sterling Martinez

Mayor Jerry DiTullio isn’t your regular run-of-the-mill mayor; he not only looks to help the voters of our great city better our community, but he also helps our students succeed in their education.

For some Farmers, DiTullio is merely the guy in charge of those coffee drinks during sixth hour, but for others he is a big part of their success, and they could not imagine the Farm without him. Despite all of the great things DiTullio has contributed to the city as mayor, he will be leaving his position at the year’s end. He is term-limited after his two terms.

For the last eighteen years, DiTullio has been busy at work helping the great citizens of Wheat Ridge. Before his eight year-long double terms as mayor he was a part of the city council for ten years. He is now running for city council district 1. He has enjoyed working as mayor and working with the public to get projects done and getting issues solved. Notably he loved being able to help the school to get what they needed. Being mayor was sometimes difficult due to city council members, but he really did enjoy being mayor. He feels strongly that it is time for a different phase in public service. If he could tell his successor anything, he would tell them that the key to being a good mayor is to listen to your constituents.

Photo By:Sterling Martinez
Photo By:Sterling Martinez

Although being a part of the Wheat Ridge government is a big part of his life, it is not DiTullio’s only crowning achievement. He is also a proud educator who has worked at Wheat Ridge High School for five years. He feels that being a teacher is very beneficial not only for his students but for him. He enjoys making a difference in people’s lives and loves helping people succeed. He feels that since he works in the government, he can give his social studies students a firsthand knowledge about government.

mr.d4

He hopes to win this year’s campaign for city council district one and keep the city moving forward with good housing and business projects. He doesn’t mind going back to city council, but he is certain that there will be different responsibilities. He ran for state senate in 1998 and might run for commissioner or treasurer if he doesn’t get the council position. But in the long run DiTullio has no regrets and will do what he loves forever, as he would rather “burn up than rust.”