Pop Culture: What’s Going Down and Poppin’ Up

By Justin Hill

Pop culture is always relevant in today’s society. Turn on any daytime TV show or, look at any magazine in the grocery store and most likely you’ll see a celebrity. Many people have an issue with this and say that today’s celebrities and pop

Courtesy of redcarpetcafe.com
Courtesy of redcarpetcafe.com

culture in general have a negative impact on people today.

Recently, President Obama jokingly made a dig at the Kardashians, and how kids these days are too influenced by their lives and how they should not be the model for success. But the truth is that stars like the Kardashians are the new ideal

in many ways. Whatever they wear, advertise and now even their way of speaking is replicated by the masses. This doesn’t apply just for the Kardashians but for all popular celebrities.

Courtesy of eonline.com
Courtesy of eonline.com

Miley Cyrus has been the face of popular culture ever since her VMA performance. Most people found it disrespectful and vulgar, but to others it was awesome. When you tune into a program like the VMA’s you’re expecting a show. Her performance gave people something to talk about, which was obviously her intention. Like the Madonna and Brittany Spears kiss or Lady Gaga hanging herself, Cyrus gave a performance that will be remembered.

The idea of being famous for nothing has been a presence in pop culture since the early 2000s when celebrities like Paris Hilton came onto the scene. In recent years, movies have decreased in sales and television ratings—especially for reality shows—has reached an all-time high. Reality TV stars are now more well-known than real actors, and some have even reached superstar status. This might be shocking to some, but people who look down at reality television need to understand that it isn’t a fad and will only increase in popularity as time goes on.

As humans we have a tendency to try to feel superior and to feel like we are at a higher level than others. Celebrities fill this need. If for a second I could stop thinking about the chemistry test I failed and focus on Kim Kardashian’s failed seventy-two day marriage, I realize that I’m not as big of a failure as I thought I was. The truth is that pop culture is only popular because we allow it to be, and we take time out of our lives to focus on it.

Whether you love or hate pop culture and the idea of celebrity, it is undeniable that it is a way of uniting people. Pop culture and media has a way of bringing everyone together because it becomes the norm. When you turn on the news you will not only see an update with the war but also news about Lindsay Lohan’s sobriety. This kind of unity makes relating to people much easier. I doubt if I asked an average person about a U.S. Senate member they would know who I was talking about; but if I asked who Khloe Kardashian is they would know exactly who I was referring to. Some might find this sad, but I would contend that is just a change in the times. Life can sometimes be stressful and living through the lives of the rich and famous can be a form of escapism.

Courtesy of balitimorepostexaminer.com
Courtesy of balitimorepostexaminer.com