Fall Fashions: Flannel Weather, Not Sweater Weather

Photo courtesy of sunnysideofgray.com
Photo courtesy of sunnysideofgray.com

Unfortunately the warm weather is fading away, which means that it’s time to say goodbye to summer attire and hello to the cold and layers. This should be something to smile about; more layers makes for more fashionable opportunities.

By Justin Hill
Picture by Justin Hill

The major trend this fall is ‘90s. Every fashion trend from this time period is back but with a more modern feel, from the messy look of grunge to the clean preppy look taken from the film Clueless. Grunge has made its way back to the present and can be expressed in many ways. Still taking from the days of Nirvana with faded, torn jeans and baggy clothes, the grunge in this decade is less homeless and more cleaned up. The most popular way to wear this trend is the ever-so-grungy flannel. The flannel can be worn the usual way, draped over the shoulders and unbuttoned, but the key is to buy one that’s at least two sizes too big to capture the look you are going for. If you don’t want to go full Cobain, you can always tie it around your waist for an effortless look. To make this look more contemporary, pair your flannel with something more form fitting and neat so you don’t look homeless.

Photo courtesy of sunnysideofgray.com
Photo courtesy of sunnysideofgray.com

From the style of grunge we flip to a completely different look that can only be described in one word: Clueless. If you haven’t seen this cult classic then you’re “totally buggin’.”  In this most recent fashion week, all the runways seemed to be inspired by this film. One Clueless inspired designer  in particular was Alexander Wang, who featured the three essential fashion articles from the movie cropped knit sweaters and miniskirts paired with knee-high socks. To get a better idea on what this look is all about, I suggest you watch the actual   movie.

Both of these looks can be tied together with another fall trend, which is chunky footwear. From an edgy Dr. Marten styled boot to a chunky platform for the Clueless look, a heavy shoe is needed to pull off your 90s flair. If Dr. Martens are not in your price range any kind of military boot would still work.

To sum up the fall fashions for 2013, the trend is anything from the 90s. Whether it is the more casual look of grunge with baggy flannels, or a much more preppy one, make sure you are on trend this season. Whether you choose an outfit that says you smell like teen spirit or one that says “you’re a virgin who can’t drive,” you will not go wrong.

View Comments (1)