Supporters Rally for Former Football Coach

By Mackenna Reilly

Tensions were high when former Football coach of Wheat Ridge High School, Reid Kahl, was put on paid suspension a month ago due to controversies surrounding the football team and an offensive Facebook message sent to Paul Busby current senior and former football player at Wheat Ridge.

After an investigation by Jefferson County was conducted, Kahl was moved to Jefferson High School as a gym teacher. News has not come out to whether or not he will be coaching at Jefferson next year. Despite the negative feedback Kahl received, his many supporters joined for a rally Nov 23, to fight for the acclaimed coach.

Kahl supporters that showed up to the rally proudly wearing their blue and yellow, and signs were flying high. The star of the rally seemed to be Ryen Kahl, the coach’s son, who was there in place of his father. Ryen, being a freshman, got the heat of the controversy during a game at the beginning of this year when senior Tanner Weakland was taken out of his quarterback position and Ryen was put in. In an interview, Ryen told 9news that the decisions Kahl made were solely to protect and stand up for his son.

Intertwined in the rally was a tight-knit group of freshman football players and their families who have been teammates since elementary school. As a team, they all had a dream of winning state under the guidance of Kahl. Amongst this group was the Packards, a family like many others who shared the same dream for their son Ryan Packard, a freshman at Wheat Ridge. Sister Hailie Packard, junior, informed The HayStack that without Kahl the Packards and many other families are considering moving their sons out of Wheat Ridge High School. When Hailie was asked where she thought the team may go and if they would stick together, she said that she could only speak for her brother “One school Ryan is seriously considering is Holy Family, but he is still not sure,”

Whatever road they choose to take, it is conclusive for these football players that the road without Kahl will undoubtedly change their next three years.

For most Farmers who are on the outside looking in, it is hard to decipher what side is wrong or right. Senior Lexa Nuanes found herself easily saying, “He was always there for me and I just cannot see that side of him.” Nuanes also noted that “Coach Kahl was always there to help his students, not demean them.”