Possibly Problematic: NFL Proposes New Rule Changes

By Austin White

During his time as NFL commissioner (2006-present), Roger Goodell has been both criticized and praised for some of his fines and punishments, his commitment to making football a safer sport to play and his globalization of the game.

This offseason the big wigs of the NFL will discuss possible changes to rules and regulations, as they do every year, but some aspects of the talk are under more of the microscope.

Goodell has stated publically that the elimination of the extra point after touchdowns is being reviewed heavily along with expanding the playoffs by two teams. Relocation of teams or more expansion of teams is being reviewed as well, but these changes are farther in the future and less likely to occur.

Courtesy of sportzedge.com
Courtesy of sportzedge.com

First off, I lean on the old cliché saying: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Football has become a multi-billion dollar industry because Americans absolutely love the game the way it is played now. Eliminating extra points would force teams to go for a two point conversion every time instead of safely adding on a point each time. Goodell’s argument is that extra points have become automatic and he wants to add more excitement to the game. But that’s exactly why the extra point should be kept. It allows for teams to be almost guaranteed one more point instead of risking that point every time and, in a game in which every point is crucial, it could be the difference in a win or loss. Extra points have a somewhat sentimental value as well. It connects football back to its roots of when it evolved out of rugby and it celebrates the history of football.

As for expanding the NFL playoffs, the plan of attack is to add one more playoff team per conference which leaves the top seed in each conference with the only bye week in the first round of the playoffs. Wild Card Weekend would then feature six playoff atmosphere games which is only a positive for fans. With more teams having a chance to get in, more fans will be interested in the playoffs and the games toward the end of the season. Granted, it would be easier to reach the playoffs if this were to be implemented, but that win-or-go home feeling that the NFL creates is some of the most fun a sports fan can feel. Not to mention this expansion would only give the NFL more profits to an industry that people believe is already over paid, however they could use the new profits towards safety or other important aspects of the game.

Expansion has been a hot topic of discussion as well due to the increased amount of games being played in London and the growing demand for a team in Los Angeles. Next season, three games will be played across the pond, and this has fans pondering the idea of a team in England. This is an American sport and I believe that the teams should all stay in the U.S. To quote the greatest fictional American ever, Forrest Gump, “that’s all I got to say about that.” A team in Los Angeles would be interesting since they haven’t had one since the Raiders moved back to Oakland in 1995. They definitely have

Courtesy of lakernation.com
Courtesy of lakernation.com

the money to support a team and they claim to have the stadium space, but Goodell says that L.A. would need a stadium to hold two teams because they would not get just one team if relocation/expansion occurred. L.A. does deserve a team due to its high notability in society, but they do not deserve two because of this. The NFL should move a lowly team like the Jacksonville Jaguars due to their low popularity because in L.A. they would be loved.

Basically, change can be a good thing but only if it’s done right. Moving or adding teams could be good for the NFL if placed in the right location and expanding the playoffs will add that excitement Goodell is looking for in eliminating the extra points. All and all, a few tweaks here and there couldn’t hurt.