Sparkle Inspires Students

Courtesy+of+Angie+Arbuckle+
Courtesy of Angie Arbuckle

By Faviola Robles

The Sparkle effect is a movement around the nation that creates student-based program in which it empowers teens to include students with disabilities in school cheerleading and dance programs.

Courtesy of Angie Arbuckle
Courtesy of Angie Arbuckle

Wheat Ridge does not hold their own Sparkle program. However our very own senior, Chris Reiman joined Sparkle a year ago at Arvada West because of his best friend AJ, who graduated from there last year. Reiman’s favorite thing about Sparkle is having the opportunity to dance with the cute girls. At the same time, he believes the most valuable thing from Sparkle is making tons of new friends. Chris hopes to start a Sparkle program at Wheat Ridge before he leaves and

hopefully later come back as a leader.  Next time you see Chris make sure to congratulate as he is the student of the week!

Currently, there are three high schools participating in the Sparkle movement: Arvada West High School, Grandview High School, and Centarus High School.

The Sparkle program began in Arvada West in 2010 because now senior Keslie Levad wanted to show her school spirit and join cheerleading, but she was unable to because of her disabilities. Her best friend John Braselton wanted to create a program for special needs students to be able to be part of the school. He discovered the Sparkle Movement online, and he wanted to begin this program at his school. Towards the end of the first semester John shared his idea with his pom squad friend Alex Merkins, she was on board right away. Shortly after Candy Erkson became head coach of the Arvada West—Wildcat Sparkles and John became the founder and squad manager of the Wildcat Sparkles. There are currently 122 schools around the country that have a Sparkle program. All students from Jeffco County schools can join the Sparkle programs at any of the Jeffco high schools.

Courtesy of Angie Arbuckle
Courtesy of Angie Arbuckle