Fiddler on the Roof: Breaking Tradition while Maintaining Excellence

By Kimberly Cessar

Wheat Ridge High School’s production of Fiddler on the Roof takes audiences back to the year 1905 in the small town of Anatevka, Russia.

The story begins with a traditional Jewish family including father Tevye (Dan Sares), mother Golde (Sierra Rebchook), and their five daughters Tzeitel (Georgia Pullis), Hodel (Zoe Sares), Chava (Brooke Hanson), Shprintze (Sierra Riale), Bielke (Kasaundra Pribyl) who all have arranged marriages but want to break away from that tradition and marry whom they choose.

The father Tevye, played by senior Dan Sares, brings the audience in and helps set the scene for the musical to begin. At first sight, the audience recognizes the amazing set, costumes and lights that were used to show the different time of day as the show went on. The singing was especially beautiful, and everyone seemed to fit their part perfectly.

Senior Zoe Sares, who played Hodel, Tevye’s second oldest out of five daughters was feeling positive about this year’s musical before opening night. She explained, “I think with the help from CSU this year with the lights, set, and sound has been really awesome and has helped us look more professional than ever. However, we truly couldn’t have made the musical happen without our production staff. They have been a huge help with critiquing the way things look and how we present.”

Courtesy of Denise Petersen Wood
Courtesy of Denise Petersen Wood

Some of the production staff includes producer and choir teacher Janine Burns, orchestra director Charles Craig, assistant producer and accompanist Vicki Duckworth, stage director Eileen Krebs, assistant stage director Mandy Nydeggar, choreographer Karen Cassel and costume designers Teri Nydegger and Amy Sares. During the show, Burns was seen as the conductor while behind the scenes Craig was the main instructor.

Seniors Lillianne Scott, Kasaundra Pribyl, and Zoe Sares all agree that “hell week” was well prepared for before it came. “Hell week” for musical participants is the week or even two weeks before the opening night in which the cast stays from right after school until 9:30 at night.

Audience members can tell how much work was put into this musical. From the dancing at the beginning of the musical with the whole chorus singing about their traditions to being in The Inn after Tevye agrees to let Lazer Wolf (Devin Dunn) marry Tzeitel (Georgia Pullis) and to Perchick’s (Colton Brown) and Hodel’s duet, it was a form of perfection and a personal favorite.

Courtesy of Denise Petersen Wood
Courtesy of Denise Petersen Wood

Along with the set, actors, lighting and sound was the orchestra, played by Wheat Ridge’s own musicians. Their hard work and dedication is something that cannot be passed up and left unrecognized.

So come out and help support your Wheat Ridge Performing Arts department this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for your last chance to see the musical, Fiddler on the Roof. Tickets are available at the Wheat Ridge High Schools home page, https://search.seatyourself.biz/webstore/webstore.html?domain=wrhsmusical&event=., and at the door all for 12.50 per ticket.