Oscar Recap 2014: Excellence Exceeds at the Ceremony

Courtesy of oscar.go.com
Courtesy of oscar.go.com
Photo Courtesy of oscar.go.com
Photo Courtesy of oscar.go.com

By Daniela Santos

Last night’s Oscars were fun to watch!

Ellen DeGeneres transformed the ceremony into an A-list pizza party! From the first minute, she set the tone with a comedic monologue that was refreshing to watch due to the fact that in previous years, hosts have been known for making controversial jokes, musical numbers or even controversial jokes in musical numbers.

Though these are awards for films, the nominees for Original Song did make a good impression at the ceremony as they performed their nominated tracks. Performers included Karen O, Idina Menzel, U2, and Pharrell Williams who sang his hit, “Happy” while sporting his iconic oversized hat that he debuted at the Grammys earlier this year. From the nominees it was “Let It Go” from Frozen that won the Oscar. Frozen also took home the award for best animated feature, being the first Oscar for a Disney film (excluding Pixar) in the 14 years that this category has existed. P!nk also sang a rendition “Somewhere over the Rainbow” in tribute to the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz.

The biggest winner of the night was the film Gravity starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney which won seven awards including Visual Effects and Cinematography. The film also made history with its best director win for Mexican Alfonso Cuaron, henceforth being the first Latino director to win best director.

The award for best actor went to Mathew McConaughey for his role in Dallas Buyers Club as an AIDS patient. Jared Leto, also in Dallas Buyers Club, won best supporting actor. The actress categories varied in films unlike the male actors. Lupita Nyong’o won the Academy Award for her emotional role in 12 Years a Slave for best supporting actress. The award for best actress went to Cate Blanchett for her role in the Woody Allen directed Blue Jasmine. Blanchett had a lot of competition in that category, for it could have been anybody’s game. Nominees included: Judi Dench for Philomena, Amy Adams for American Hustle, Meryl Streep for August: Osage County, and Sandra Bullock for Gravity.

There were some unexpected wins this year as well. The Great Gatsby took home the award for best costume and production design. It was also unexpected that, based on Gravity’s numerous wins, it did not win best picture. The icing on the cake as one could say. But DeGeneres was semi-accurate in her prediction which she stated in her monologue, “Possibility number one: ’12 Years a Slave’ wins best picture. Possibility number two: You’re all racists.” 12 Years a Slave did indeed win, which made for a nice closing for a marvelous night.

Photo Courtesy of oscar.go.com
Photo Courtesy of oscar.go.com
Photo courtesy of oscar.go.com
Photo courtesy of oscar.go.com