Weibe Awarded Renowned Title of Mr.Golden-Ridge

By Michael Yeatts

On April 18 the Mr. Golden-Ridge beauty competition held in the Golden High School gymnasium sought to determine which school has the most appealing man.

For those who do not know, Mr. Golden-Ridge is a male-beauty pageant between, as the name suggests, Wheat Ridge High School and Golden High School where guys from both schools show off aspects of themselves in a series of rounds to a staff-based panel of judges and a roaring crowd of people in hopes of avoiding elimination and, in doing so, earning the prestigious title of Mr. Golden-Ridge. No, this is not the satire issue of the Haystack. This event is a collaborated fundraiser between the two high school’s senatorial committees to earn money for their proms.

This year’s Golden-Ridge contest started with all twelve of the potential winners—six from Golden and six from the Farm—coming together in a disjointedly synchronized dancing number before the competition began. This whimsical performance was followed by many others in a series of four rounds, each with an intermission of a solo vocal performance or funny video.

The first was the swimsuit round. As one would assume, this round involves the competitors strutting in their finest beachwear whilst showing off their physique to the arbiters. The one-piece, full body and two piece swimsuit all made their appearance on the contestants. The first round ended with three of the twelve being eliminated—all of whom were Demons.

The talent portion came next. This is where the remaining gentlemen showcased a talent of some sort. A few of these acts included an impressively-choreographed lightsaber fight by Golden’s Quinn Malone and the talented saxophone playing of The Farm’s Benjamin Wiebe. The round’s close sent three of those that had more lackluster performances out the running.

The third round involved the enduring handsome hopefuls being escorted center stage by their mothers, minus Peter Greco who was accompanied by his canine companion. The round ended, and three more bit the dust.

The fourth and final round was a question and answer session that involved the contestants randomly selecting two queries written on pieces of paper from a glass orb and answering them with charm and personality. Only three of the initial twelve pageanteers remained, Golden’s Tanner Bryson and The Farm’s Peter Greco and Benjamin Wiebe. Wits were challenged with such questions as, “If you could change one thing about the world today, what would it be?” and, “What is the last thing you would like to see before you die?”

Once that the Q&A was over, suspense was in the air as both the remaining trio of contestants and the anxious audience waited for the results. The Golden-dominated crowd started up a chant for Bryson, confident in his victory. In the end, Golden’s confidence was gilded, and The Farm’s Benjamin Wiebe walked away with the venerated title of Mr. Golden-Ridge.