Big Name Brands, or Small Town Stores for Wheat Ridge?

By Ashley Havenner

Recently more and more, “No Walmart at 38th and Wadsworth” signs are popping up in Wheat Ridge residents’ yards, yet many people know little about this recent controversy.

Although there have been no official proposals to purchase the lot, there have been many rumors going around about Walmart’s new interest in this land.

Some who are educated on this new interest seem to be fairly against it. Those located in this area are striving for more local businesses, not big name stores, as the city is planning to make the stretch of 38th, between Wadsworth and Sheridan the downtown of Wheat Ridge. Furthermore, there is a new Sprouts under construction just off of 38th and Kipling, and six other Walmarts within a five mile radius of the considered location. With such a vast amount of big name stores in just a small area, many are against the idea of a new grocery-only Walmart being established.

Jerry Ditullio, a special education teacher at Wheat Ridge and City Councilman clarified on these rumors. In order to better understand how likely it is that Walmart will purchase the lot, DiTullio described how far the companies interest may go.

He stated, “There is an 80% chance the applicant will come in,” and make an offer for the vacant lot. When asked whether this Walmart would be beneficial to the community, DiTullio responded saying, “The development will be.” As with anything being there, income for the city will be made, whereas it being empty makes no money whatsoever for the city.

DiTullio is not warm to the idea of a big name grocery store and commercial property being built on this land. He stated that he, “Would like to see two smaller businesses,” opposed to a big name grocery store.

Aside from Walmart, others have shown interest in the lot. Ditullio said there had been interests from “townhouse contractors” and “retail commercial businesses.” The townhome complex would be sharing the lot with this grocery Walmart, for this space is too big for just one store.

Ditullio said, “I support redevelopment,” and because this land is private property, the buyer would “have the right to build,” but he doesn’t think, “income tax increment financing,” would be good for the city. In other words, he doesn’t believe the city should help fund this Walmart. Every year, Walmart would be giving the city a portion of the money it makes, and after using some of that money to help redo roads, lights, and other things the city might need, a percentage of that money would be going back to Walmart. So Wheat Ridge, in a way, would be helping support this Walmart.

There is a lot of controversy at the idea of a new Walmart being put in, mainly because some think it may take away from their, “local feel”. Some protest it, using the yard signs to make their opinion known, and others would like to have the convenience of a new grocery store in their community. After this interview, more can be understood on the different opinions, and hopefully leaves the uneducated, educated on this issue.