Are You a Contemporary Racist?

By Justin Hill

We’ve all done it, made that racially inappropriate joke or those stereotypical assumptions.

Does ending the N-word with an “er” compared to an “a” make a difference? Is it racist to say something as small as white people can’t dance or assuming that a Hispanic person speaks Spanish? But where is the line between casual comedy and offensive? Could we consider this a new wave of contemporary racism?

As a high school student, I hear it all and these days certain words that were once totally unacceptable have become a part of everyday teen vernacular. The N-word for instance has become a synonym for friend and racial jokes have become a comical past time.

A student, who preferred to remain anonymous, spoke out this topic: “I use the N-word all the time, as does everyone, but to me it doesn’t mean what it used to. There is also a difference between n***a  and n***er; one is way more offensive. I would never say it with an er.

When asked what their stance was on racial jokes, the same student had a different opinion than that of the use of the N-word. “ Nah, I don’t usually make racist jokes, being white I don’t think I could really get away with that. But I don’t see a problem with racist jokes if they’re funny, people make racist jokes about me being white all the time and I’m not bothered.”

Selena Chatman, a senior here at Wheat Ridge who is of mixed ethnicity spoke on the issue as well. “ (The N word)  has become such a common word that I’m not offended by it or by people using it; I would only be offended if it was used towards me.”

Unlike the previously interviewed student, Chatman has an issue with racial jokes and humor. “I think that when someone makes a racial joke is when I lose all respect for them. I think everyone should respect each other and their ethnicity.”

Chatman continued to speak about how she feels about racial stereotypes and racism over all. “I think people have become so blind to it that it doesn’t affect them like it used to. Most people don’t care and laugh it off, as do I but I feel what makes a difference is the energy. If someone is saying something about a race in a hateful way, that’s when it becomes a problem.”

Today the topic of racism has changed; it has become more about the person using the words than it is the words themselves. It is my opinion that words that were once so powerful have lost it all. I believe like Chatman, that it is the intention of the words that control its meaning. So next time you make a racist comment, or laugh at a prejudiced joke think about how much things have changed and how light hearted things have become. Or take a moment to ask yourself, “Am I a contemporary racist?” This is not to say that racism itself is lighthearted issue, but the difference between it and its contemporary form is that the hatred has seemed to dissipate and has become more comical.