Lengthy Tests Push Schmidt to Swoon

Photo by Rachel Vigil

By Rachel Vigil

Math teacher Michael Schmidt fainted yesterday after ten straight hours of PARCC testing supervision with no food or water.

He was in the middle of supervising a geometry test when the incident occurred.

“I’m not sure exactly when he fainted, but I think someone realized it had happened after we had all finished our testing section and hadn’t been given any instructions,” said Hailey Wylde, a sophomore. “We gave him some water, but after we realized he wasn’t seriously injured, we went right back to testing. It’s what he would want!”

Everyone taking the test was told to bring food and water, but no one was truly prepared for how much food they would really need.

“I brought a bottle of water and three apples. By the end of the test even, I was feeling faint,” stated Gabriella Cordova, a freshman who was also on the scene.

Even after the incident, everyone agreed that the PARCC test is more important than anyone’s health. If the geometry students had not continued with their testing, they might not have finished their examination, which would have given the school a bad overall grade. It is imperative that all students pass it.

In the first test year, all students must pass the test if they are going to be successful in life. Also, any student failure will result in a pay cut for their teacher.

When later asked about the incident, Schmidt said, “It was completely my fault. I should have trained more for the rigor of supervising PARCC. I’m totally embarrassed, but my students made me proud by finishing the test despite my little accident.”

Schmidt has also gracefully accepted the pay cut that he was given for interrupting the test. “My two daughters can survive with less food on the table. It’s only right. If anything, I’m surprised I wasn’t fired for such a disgraceful action. The school board’s merciful ruling on the incident has made me the luckiest teacher in Jeffco.”

Wheat Ridge High School is scheduled for more testing both this next week and in April. This section will be primarily on the use of semicolons. The five four-hour testing blocks are expected to be a refreshing break from the heavier testing sections.