Can the Trump Be Stumped?

© Erik Pendzich/REX Shutterstock

By Landon Stokes

As we’re all probably aware, this year’s race for the 2016 presidential election is a peculiar one.

Only a handful of Democratic candidates have announced their bids for candidacy, as opposed to over a dozen Republicans who have declared their run for the oval office.

But none of the candidates running in 2016 shine as brightly in the media’s glistening eyes than New York City’s own Donald J. Trump. Trump, who announced his candidacy in June, is one of the most radical candidates in American history and has already rocked the precendence of American presidential races with his “unique” approach to promoting his campaign.

Nevertheless, as silly as he may seem and as unpopular among liberals and conservatives he may be, Trump might stand a real chance of winning the Republican primary elections. According to the New York Times, Trump is predicted to be the third most likely candidate to win the Republican primaries, and is polling number one in popularity polls taken in Iowa and New Hampshire.

So what does this mean for us, as Americans? Coupled with a Republican-controlled Congress, Trump’s election could potentially spell regression of many social reforms made in the last few years. For foreigners (mainly Mexicans) looking to immigrate to the United States, it could mean the abolishment of the birthright citizenship provision to the 14th amendment, which grants citizenship to all children born in the U.S. to illegally immigrated parents.

Or, if you’re a woman, Trump’s election could possibly mean the banning of abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or health issues, and possible federal funding cuts to abortion clinics and organizations like Planned Parenthood.

Complex political issues aside, some of Trump’s beliefs sound like they were influenced by Plankton, from Spongebob. In Trump’s own words, the concept of global warming was “created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.” Trump also believes that introducing vaccines to kids at a young age leads to the development of autism, a theory that has repeatedly been debunked by U.S. Public Health officials and by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, and resulted in the loss of Andrew Wakefield’s–the author responsible for a 1998 research piece–medical license after an investigation deemed his research an “elaborate fraud.”

In other words, if you, as an individual, are not of the white, male, conservative demographic, or your political beliefs aren’t reminiscent of a 90s cartoon villain, you are most likely not going to benefit from having Trump in office. On the other hand, despite the fact that I disagree with just about everything Donald Trump supports, I’m also a staunch advocate for democracy, and I believe that voters should vote for the candidate they want, regardless of my own personal beliefs. I will, however, say this: I wouldn’t elect the guy who believes that the concept of global warming is a hoax because “he’s in Los Angeles, and it’s freezing.”