Farmers 5000 Runs Circles Around Wheat Ridge

By Landon Stokes

Another year, another successful community-strengthening experience for the Farmers.

On Sept. 20 at 9:00 a.m. the 35th annual Wheat Ridge High School Farmers 5000 kicked off to the sound of roaring rock music and the resounding cheers of racers and non-racers alike. The race, which has been running–if you will–since 1980, has grown to include other activities in addition to the main race, including hay rides for little kids before, during, and after the race, the community-famous cowpie bingo, and a fun run for little kids after the race, at 10 a.m.

The 5000 itself starts in front of Wheat Ridge High School, curves through the surrounding neighborhood all the way to Lutheran Parkway, back through the neighborhood and finishes right where it started–for a total of 5,000 meters, or 3.1 miles.

Even though it is by definition a race, not all participants aim for best time in their age group. Most participants attend the race simply to get some physical exercise, enjoy the welcoming community atmosphere, and support Wheat Ridge High School and local businesses.

Attendees vary just as much as the event itself does, participants range from toddlers taking their first steps to seasoned senior-citizen runners, and from those used to running marathons to those who run only to the kitchen.

This year’s turnout was no different–upwards of 200 participants lined up at the starting line, almost trampling each other as the race began.

After the race, there was a plethora of stands set up in the Wheat Ridge parking lot offering snacks and goodies for everyone attending the race–not just runners. Awards were presented to the top three finishers of each age group and gender shortly after the last runners crossed the finish line, and the results were posted online later that day.

There were also tents from race sponsors, including Comfort Dental, Noodles and Company, and upwards of 15 other companies from the Wheat Ridge area.

Regardless of whether or not you consider yourself the “running” type, there’s fun to be had at the annual Farmers 5000.