Farmers Visit Cancer Patients

Farmers Visit Cancer Patients

By Isabelle Olson

Beginning at the start of last year, our high school has been doing something amazing.

Lutheran Hospital, a few streets down from the Farm, came to us and asked if we could come up with something to raise money or awareness for cancer research. Now here we are, a year later, two Pink Out games down, and there is even more happening to benefit people who are struggling with cancer in our community.

“The idea behind the program is to come together and create a community event [the football game] with an overall goal to bring more awareness and attention to cancer.” said Krystal Mitchell, a math teacher who has been a leader of this program so far.

This year and last, pink shirts were sold and all the proceeds went to Lutheran for cancer research. Now this year another step was taken to help cancer patients, and the response has been amazing. Students of our senate, football team, cheer team, and poms team have gone to Lutheran to visit the cancer patients, bringing them bags that contain pink t-shirts, Farmer Forever shirts, chapstick, candy, magazines, games and even more.

So far the response of the patients and the students has been meaningful, tear filled, and heart warming. Jade Woodyard, a senior, said, “This program is more than just going to visit the cancer patients; it’s making connections with amazing people who are surviving a battle with cancer.”

It’s clear that is this making a difference in the lives of the people who partake. If anyone is interested in participating in an amazing opportunity such as this, there are no real requirements, just speak with Mitchell or a senate member. There is a big need to expand this program, so if it speaks to you, don’t hesitate to make it happen. Life lessons come with experiences like this, not just for Wheat Ridge students, but for cancer fighters as well.