Girls Lacrosse Under New Leadership

By Nik Schnebly

When thinking of lacrosse and Wheat Ridge, one would likely think of the boy’s lacrosse team and their domination of the 4A Bracket. What you should also think of  is the girls lacrosse team!

The girls team looks to do great this year despite the controversy that plagued the offseason. Well, not really a plague, more like that annoying little case of the sniffles that spreads throughout the school then you have stay home for a day and sleep while mom makes you chicken noodle soup. What I mean is that last year’s head coaches Andy Schultz and Carol Degenhart, retired leaving athletic director Nick DeSimone in a bit of a pickle.

DeSimone said that because of “how small girl’s lacrosse is in this corner of the state it made it difficult to find a coach.”  DeSimone interviewed three candidates choosing the very capable Jessica Mohler, Mohler was a girls lacrosse coach in Florida, who had great success there before moving west.

Mr. DeSimone expressed his excitement for the upcoming season saying that because of the bigger than expected turnout of 16 girls, not including those from other schools like Pomona and Lakewood, Wheat Ridge looks to compete with Chatfield and Cherry Creek, who are known for their exceptional lacrosse play.

Last year, the team finished at 4 and 9 overall with a .4 save percentage and 290 shots on goal accumulating in  an average 11 points per game.

The lacrosse team this year has come back from the jaws of death and looks to continue the tradition of good sportsmanship and athletic excellence this great school is know for. Good luck this season!!