ISIS: Who’s Stopping Them?

Photo+courtesy+of+frontpagemage.com+
Photo courtesy of frontpagemage.com

By Aaron Ilia Merritt

The Islamic State (ISIS) is the topic of the Middle East and North Africa in the past year.

The radical group of terrorists has carried out several strikes all over the region including beheadings, shootings, and bombings. Many countries in the area, and the world, have ISIS high up on their priority list. So how are we dealing with them? Well, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

ISIS has now been targeted by the U.S. Army’s Delta Force, an elite special forces group.

The U.S. has not done too much as far as directly fighting ISIS with ground troops until now, but by having a special forces unit fight ISIS the U.S. will have its presence more prominent rather than just continuing to fund anti-ISIS militias.

Warfare is no longer two armies marching towards one another and firing. Warfare isn’t necessarily shooting at all. The radical Islamic State has gained much popularity on everyday social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and even Snapchat. ISIS supporters  make posts or contact ISIS radicals through social media. This means social media can be very dangerous, just like staring down a barrel of a loaded gun.

Founders, CEOs, and owners of many social media sites have recently given their support to fighting ISIS. This means that the governments around the world may have easier access to people’s personal accounts and messages. While only ISIS members and supporters are being targeted, many ordinary people are worried about their invasion of privacy. Many users of social media and email do not want their private messages, or even some of the posts they publicly send out, being viewed by the government or any other agency.

Anonymous, the anti-corruption group, has been in a constant cyber war with ISIS. The two groups have teams of hackers go into each other’s sites and vary information or even shut the other page down. Anonymous has even “declared war on ISIS” which means over the internet, and through public opinion.

ISIS has the attention of the world. They will not be forgotten anytime soon.Brushing them under the rug will not be easy. Dealing with ISIS will most definitely be remembered.