Wave of Oppression Knocking Socks and Sandals off Students

Julles Marquez, Staff Writer

Dress code facilitator and sophomore English teacher Matthew Couch was found brutally brawling sophomore student Bridgette Garner on April 2, at Wheat Ridge High School in room 21 due to Garner’s decision to wear an outrageous pair of socks and sandals–one of the biggest violations of dress code at Wheat Ridge High School. Due to the cultivating epidemic-like trend, the school’s administration have been cracking down more strenuously to prevent anyone from wearing this, many students defying this restriction with immense effort. Although administrators would be pleased to hear that the students are cooperating as they should with this policy, their wishes cannot come true.

The interaction between Couch and Garner resulted in an aggressive response from Couch and a panicked retaliation from Garner, witnesses described a scene of  “utter chaos” in room 21. Witnesses also described Couch yanking the socks and sandals attire off with “great speed and aggression” and Garner defensively holding up her hands to protect herself from the many punches she was given. Many students interviewed asked to remain anonymous, afraid to stir up anymore controversy.

The day after, Garner and Couch were individually asked about their beliefs about the socks and sandals incident and how they felt about what went on. The student and teacher gave us brief statements during their interviews, both headstrong on their opinions and unwilling to see each other’s beliefs on the dress code policy.

“The students sag their jeans, wear crop tops, and fail to meet the dress code in any way, shape or form. Now, they’re wearing socks AND sandals. When will this nonsensical abomination come to an end? It’s a disgrace,” Couch said with a face full of stern disgust.

He also provided some statistics about the socks and sandal scandal, stating that “75% of the Wheat Ridge High School student population wears this type of apparel,” and “88% of students nationwide wear socks and sandals.” With extensive research, the facts are 100% true and we now understand how large this offensive trend actually is.

“The fact that teenagers today think that this type of clothing that makes them look like a 70-year-old senior citizen is not okay and must be put to a halt immediately by suspension and/or expulsion,” Couch states emotionally. “I promise that my aggression is only in the best interest of the students and their education. No one wants to see the students get distracted by an outrageous pair of socks and sandals.”

In great contrast to this statement Garner said, ”I just wanna express myself the way I would like to, and if that involves me dressing like a 70-year-old senior citizen, then so be it. All I wanted was to practice my god-given right to wear it.”  Garner, dismally wiped away her thick tears and dismal facial expression. Her face told us everything we needed to know; she along with the rest of the students who wear socks and sandals would like to wear them freely without facilitation and or judgement from other school advisers.

As the story went on, the final decision that was made for Garner was a six-day school suspension and a one month clothing restriction. The pair of socks and sandals were removed shortly after her meeting with the school ended and will not be permitted to be on the premises again.

“We will fight back,” Garner stated with hope. “I won’t let Couch get away with taking my favorite accessories away from my school zone again.”

Without further discussion of this topic, we understand that in order for students to properly learn and assess information, they mustn’t wear anything that gives them the power to express themselves the way they would like to or they will be too distracted to learn anything. The only proper addressal made to this dress code will involve a brutal beating from local school advisers and immediate expulsion and/or suspension of students who violate the no-socks-and-sandals policy at Wheat Ridge High School. The students will continue to fight for their rights to wear socks and sandals despite its brutal results.