Thank You Coach

Sunset+over+Jeffco+Stadium+on+the+Wheat+Ridge+Side+Line+

Courtesy of @farmerchampions on Twitter

Sunset over Jeffco Stadium on the Wheat Ridge Side Line

Bailey Duplessis, Sports Editor

Coach Stacy Coryell is a name everyone knows around the Farm.

You could be the kid that doesn’t follow sports very much and you know the football coach. I know that when I started sports writing he helped me a whole lot with writing football and getting inside information about the team. Coach Coryell has had such a positive impact around the sports world at Wheat Ridge High School.
Coryell has announced his resignation as head coach for the Farmers, just a couple of days before the start of the 2020 football season. There are mixed emotions going on throughout the team and player’s families. Coach Nick Leonard will be taking over as head coach for this already wacky season.
Prior to Coryell’s reassignment, he was headed into his sixth season as head coach for the Farmers. He had a total of five completed seasons as head coach under his belt, with a total of 26 years of experience being a coach at both the high school and college levels. Coryell has served as a varsity assistant in football, basketball, and track and field. He was also a coordinator for both offense and defense. Coach Coryell has coached 63 All-Conference players and 21 All-State players during his time at Wheat Ridge, Bear Creek, Green Mountain, and Golden High Schools. Coryell has had the honor to be a part of two state championship teams, one in 1994 and one in 2008 while coaching at Wheat Ridge High School. By being a Wheat Ridge High School graduate, class of 1978, Coryell is always going to be a Farmer his heart.
Senior Varsity player, Max Pomponio, said “ [Coryell] always motivated me and pulled me to the side to really break down how he wanted me to be and grow as a player. He always helped the team and pushed us to compete with each other. Coach Coryell put the mentality of hard work in all of us.” Coryell has inspired so many.
Former Farmer, now current Golden Demon, senior Evan Hughes, said “Coach Coryell taught me how to be the man I am today.” Coryell has made an impact on so many people in the Wheat Ridge Community.
Coach Coryell has had such a positive impact on anyone he has come in contact with. He will continue to coach Track and Field for Wheat Ridge high school for the 2020-21 season. So thank you. Coach, for everything you have done for students and athletes everywhere.