Trick-or-Treat Street on the Farm

Courtesy of wordonfire.org
Courtesy of wordonfire.org

By Faviola Robles

Autumn has finally arrived, and that means Halloween is just around the corner!

Every year Wheat Ridge High School proudly hosts a charity event known as Trick-or-Treat Street. It is a night when all kids from the community and local elementary schools are invited to participate in games and enjoy a night full of fun and sweet treats.
Trick-or-Treat Street began because Wheat Ridge wanted to give the community a safe yet fun alternative for their children to receive candy. Many parents are grateful that the Farm hosts this every year. It is not always safe to take kids Trick-or-Treating in neighborhoods, simply because you never know what people’s intentions are. The best result of this, besides the safety pre-cautions of the children receiving these delicacies, is to see their bright faces and laughter fill the cafeteria room as they interact with the high school kids.
On Monday, Oct. 28 student clubs from Wheat Ridge will hold booths, prepare fun carnival activities for the children, and hand out as much candy as possible. It will be held from 6-7:30 pm.
In order to give out lots of candy, some teachers have been receiving bags of candy and in return they give those students extra credit. Since this is a charity event the only admission needed is a can of food. The canned food received is donated to the Jeffco Action Center

Courtesy of wordonfire.org
Courtesy of wordonfire.org

Last year’s Trick-or-Treat Street was a huge hit. Many clubs participated such as: the art club, NHS, Peer Mentor Training, Theater Department, Las Amigas and many more. These clubs created fun activities for the children such as face painting, ring toss, cake walk, mini bowling, and tossing games. Kids loved the games and received so much candy. Junior Jennifer Orozco from Las Amigas says, “Last year was my first year participating, and I had so much fun! The kids were adorable and happy.”
This year several of the same clubs and more are ready to make this 2013 Trick-or-Treat Street even better.