Obama’s Immigration Action Impeded

Photo Courtesy of Olivier Douliery

By Rachel Vigil

From its birth  on Nov. 21, 2014, President Obama’s immigration reform has been met with protest from  across the political spectrum.

Perhaps the largest protest against this action came from the 26 states, led by Texas, that are suing Obama.

The Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) program was ready to begin accepting forms from applicants who wished to be granted workers permits on May 20, 2015. DAPA is the action set in place by Obama this past December, and it plans to grant workers permits to illegal immigrants who have children who are U.S. citizens and who have been living in the U.S. for five or more years

However, Judge Andrew Hanen of Texas ruled on Nov. 16 that the executive action taken by the President was unconstitutional and the right to make such rulings is the sole right of the Congress. DAPA will be put on a hold until this ruling is overturned or solidified.

Most conservatives have praised this ruling and further condemned the President’s action. Amongst them  is the governor of Texas,Greg Abbot, who stated in a recent interview, “Judge Hanen’s decision rightly stops the president’s overreach in its tracks. We live in a nation governed by a system of checks and balances and the President’s attempt to bypass the will of the American people was successfully checked today.”

On the other side of the argument, both the Obama administration and immigration activist groups nationwide have argued against this judge’s ruling. Obama believes, “that the law is on our side and history is on our side.” He has asked the Supreme Court to overturn this ruling, but no rulings have been issued.

The ultimate ruling on Obama’s executive action still remains unclear. Those planning to enroll in DAPA may be faced with postponement.