Star Wars and the Power of Costume

Connor Gard, Copy Editor

By Connor Gard

Early last month, a few of us at the Haystack were given the opportunity students would die for, skipping out of school for a day.

Even better yet we were also given the chance to travel over to the Denver Art Museum to check out their cool new exhibit: Star Wars and the Power of Costume.

Before we were given access to the exhibit, all attendees were directed into the auditorium area of the Hamilton building, where we were spoken to by the director of the Denver Art Museum.

While being spoken to, the director also introduced members of the event organizers and sponsors, which spoke about how excited they all were to bring this exhibit to Colorado to share with everyone the art within Star Wars.  After the main speeches, however, we were all greeted by Gov. John Hickenlooper, as well as his attempt at an imitation of Jabba the Hutt’s laugh. After all of these speeches, we were assorted into groups and led into the exhibit.

Star Wars and the Power of Costume is an exhibit that contains around 300 items from the Star Wars universe, ranging from original concept art, to even costumes and props used in the movies themselves; all of which were brought together by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES).

The exhibit takes visitors through a behind the scenes look into the process of bringing characters to life through their costume design and creation.  Alongside the costumes, visitors will also get to see videos from behind-the-scenes, on set of the actors and the designers, as well as some of their takes on the design of their characters.

Some of these costumes and pieces were even arranged into famous scenes from the movies, helping to bring together the experience further for hardcore Star Wars fans, and bringing intrigue to those who may not know the series very well. Whether you are the former or latter, it is a fantastic experience for all who attend and is definitely worth checking out if you have the time, as it won’t stick around forever.

Star Wars and the Power of Costume will be open to see until April 2, 2017 in the Hamilton Building of the Denver Art Museum.