Farmer Athletes get Athletic Scholarships Across the Country

Destiny Ramirez, Reporter

Wheat Ridge is known for having an amazing athletics program.

Some student athletes do so well that they are given scholarships to schools across the country.
Coach Jamie Heflin has the honor of waving goodbye to three of the Wheat Ridge softball girls. Brandy DeHerrera got a softball scholarship to Otero Junior College in La Junta, Colorado. DeHerrera thinks being on the softball team let her create a lot of memories and gave her the opportunity to play with some great teammates. Gabriela Loya, also received a softball scholarship to Western Nebraska Community College in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. The last softball Farmer who received a scholarship is Brandy Trengove, who will be attending Otero Junior College with Brandy DeHerrera.

Trengove said, “My favorite experience is playing with my friends and working hard as being the pitcher for this year and my freshman year. I got the opportunity to go to state and win a state championship with the team.”

Courtney Nelson received a soccer scholarship to Western Nebraska Community College. Looks like former team mate, Loya will be seeing her around. Clemson University, home of the Tigers, in Clemson, South Carolina will be seeing Farmer Alexandra Nillen who also received a soccer scholarship. Joining the sunny sunbirds in Fresno, California, Corina Wing will be sweating the soccer field in the hot sun miles away at Fresno Pacific University. Hailey Wylde is joining the Bears in Raleigh, North Carolina. Wylde will be attending Shaw University. Looks like Coach Dan Watkins will be seeing four farmers go.

From the cross country team, Amy Leasure got a scholarship to Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.
Three of the Farmer lacrosse players received Athletic scholarships. Nolan Hector will be attending Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Hector said, “knowing you’re part of a family is tight, and knit groups make it easier to play and less stressful.”

Elmhurst, Illinois will also be gaining a proud Farmer as Andrew Frerich will be attending Elmhurst College. Lindenwood University gained Zach Hall, who will be traveling to Saint Charles, Missouri.
Farmer football players Brendan Moss and Nik Schnebly both received football scholarships. Moss will be going to Benedictine College. Schnebly not only got a scholarship to Doane University for football, but also for wrestling. Watch out! Schnebly is taking over.

Baseball player Travis Cowan got into Marshalltown Community College in Marshalltown, Iowa with a scholarship. Cowan stated, “I have been playing baseball my whole life and it is my passion. Baseball is my life and playing baseball in high school has taught me a lot about friendships and how a simple game can bring teammates together to become a family. I have dealt with horrible losses and great wins throughout high school, and sharing these memories with my brothers is certainly an honor. We have had our ups and downs as a team, but that is what brings us closer together. Baseball is a game of failure, and it has taught me to work harder and do whatever it takes to make it to the next level. Life will always throw you curves, but just keep fouling them off. The right pitch will come, and when it does, be prepared to run the base.” Watch out for Cowan running the bases.

Fourteen athletic Farmers received athletic scholarships. Looks like the Farmers are taking over.