Top Movies of the Summer

Nevaeh Valtierra, Staff Writer

Once school is out you will find yourself staying up late and sleeping in, hopefully.

Maybe you’ll be working or maybe you’ll still be stuck with school work. Either way you should really find some time to hit up the movie theater to watch these spectacular movies that are coming out this summer!

Do you remember back in 2003 when the first Pirates of the Caribbean came out? Of course you do. The series was an epic journey! If you loved all of those movies, then you’re about to be showered with good news! Johnny Depp is returning as the infamous Jack Sparrow and you’ll also see Orlando Bloom returning as Will Turner. We’ll even meet an enemy Jack Sparrow made before it all. Be excited for May 26.

Many were worried that Lightning McQueen’s retirement was coming, but our favorite race car is returning to the tracks in Cars 3, June 16. McQueen will be competing against a rookie who makes it a mission to end McQueen’s career, but with the help from another rookie, McQueen is going to attempt a bold comeback. You’ll also see McQueen’s loyal pit crew, Mator and the others!

The fight isn’t over yet. Humans are at war for their planet against the transformers. Our favorite characters have come and gone, and we’ll meet a new generation who is just as passionate about saving the world. In order to save what could be the future, they have to search for the answers and secrets from the past. We will have some more insight on the hidden history of when transformers were on Earth, It’s all up to an alliance of Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg), Bumblebee, an English lord (Anthony Hopkins), and an Oxford professor (Laura Haddock) to save the planet.

Finally Ansel Elgort, our beloved Augustus from the The Fault in Our Stars, will be playing a new character named Baby in Baby Driver which comes out June 28th. Baby is a skilled getaway driver who solely depends on the music coming out of his headphones. As successful as he is in getaway driving, Baby meets a girl (Lily James) who awakens his desire to ditch his dishonorable lifestyle. The only thing is, his one last heist could ruin his chances at love and freedom.

You had to have fallen in love with the admirable bond of Gru and his three adopted daughters in the first two movies, Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2, but if you didn’t, then you have another chance. Steve Carell will be playing Gru and his brother Dru. Together they will try to keep former 80s child star Balthazar Bratt (Trey Parker) from his attempts at dominating the world.

Tom Holland is the new Peter Parker in the Spider-Man: Homecoming movie that’s coming out July 2nd 2017. Parker begins to embrace his newfound identity after returning home from his epic experience with the Avengers. Parker is pushed to his limits when a villain, the Vulture, played by Michael Keaton, threatens everything that he cares about. You won’t see all the traditional characters you’ve seen from the other Spider Man movies, but you will enjoy some characters from other Marvel films and a familiar Disney celebrity, Zendaya. This superhero film is based on the Marvel Comics and, like most Marvel movies, you should be expecting a movie appearance from Stan Lee, the author himself.

Did you see the 2011 film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes or the sequel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes? Well now the third one is coming out, July 14! The riveting science fiction film will have Andy Serkis as Caesar the ape, who is in all the films. It will also be adding Woody Harrelson who will play the leader of the army of humans who are fighting against the apes. The two species will fight against each other once again. Caesar will fight to avenge his kind, and the humans will fight to sustain planet Earth as the planet of the humans.