Hyperloop One

Hyperloop One successfully tested a pod in August 2017.

Lendsy Barriga, Staff Writer

What seemed considerably distant decades ago is currently making its way to Colorado.

The Centennial state was selected as one of the 10 finalists in the Hyperloop One competition to build a different method of transportation in a couple weeks. It would be a vacuum-sealed tunnel that would reach speeds up to 700 miles per hour. This transportation system would extend from Cheyenne to Pueblo, and west to Vail. In the future, it will be able to carry passengers making their lives much easier.

This enormous project would strengthen passenger movement, link urban areas, and improve trade/cargo, which is certainly costly. Investors raised more than $141 million on cost guidance, and engineering, which really helped bring Hyperloop to life. The amount of time it would take you to get from Denver, Colorado to Vail, Colorado by car would is nearly two hours. Instead, if you could travel by hyperloop which, according to Rocky Mountain Hyperloop, it would only take about nine minutes to get there.

If this track is successfully installed, cargo will be the only thing that can be transported until it is confirmed that the track doesn’t have any bugs or problems carrying passengers. The idea is to keep transporting items and as time passes by, people will be able to use this system of transportation.

What we know this system will clearly improve is that people will be able to move faster since a vast majority moved to Colorado from another state within the U.S. territory.

“We have significant challenges in both public safety, freight, and congestion issues, and if there’s technology out there that can help us solve it, it’s our (duty) to explore it,” said Shailen Bhatt, CDOT’s executive director.

Colorado will start focusing on whether the tunnel will be on ground level or slightly elevated, according to The Denver Post. The team must concentrate on funding, persistency, and the environmental impacts.

What we still have no clue about is how expensive it’s going to be when the Hyperloop is available for us to use. If it took that amount of money to invest in this modern transportation system, it’s logical that it will be relatively high in price.