Color Guard Gains Momentum

Alexis Martinez, Rookie Reporter

Many kids wonder what color guard is and what they do.

Color guard evolved from a military activity, which is a creative performance. Color guard is known as a sport, it is a group of students,police, soldiers that do a routine with flags, rifles, and sabers. The Farmer’s color guard team include dancing with their routines. They perform a unique routines at football games and pep rallies. Here at Wheat Ridge High School, the color guard are working on some new routines and looking forward to their winter competition.

There are some new students who joined color guard so as if right now Farmers is working on the basics and getting to know the routine. Julles Marquez, sophomore is a part of the color guard team. Marquez said they practice usually about 3-5 hours. However, they only practice on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Marquez stated that the color guard team starts off with basic exercises.  Marquez said that in their routine they do include a little bit of tossing, but not so much. She said the exercises include butterflies, planks, hand stretches etc. Their basic routines are start out with exercises and then they practice with their pattern that they are taught by their instructor, Russ. They run and do hand movements on their tarp and they do a running exercise which is when they run to their different placements. Marquez said that she enjoys color guard because after a long day she can have a nice practice and have fun with her team mates.

Kassady Werner, sophomore here at Wheat Ridge High School is on the color guard team and said “during their routine they do use rifles, spin flags, and sabers”. The team thinks Russ is an adequate one and even though he is “all over the place” he does bring things together in a satisfying result. However their he does not work here as a teacher. They aren’t really focusing on anything right now besides the basic routine. She joined color guard her freshman year. Werner enjoys color guard. She said that their color guard winter competition is longer and has more of dancing than their regular routines.

Louise Kogle, a junior, is on the color guard team here at Wheat Ridge High School. She works on her routines for an hour and a half. She said that during their winter competitions they go against 15 different schools on their level. She said that they are judged on their points based on their body equipment and body design.  Wheat Ridge High School won regionals when she joined her freshman year. The color guard team is working towards learning their routine and looking forward to their winter competition