Get Ready For Little Changes!

Alexis Martinez, Staff writer

Wheat Ridge High School will be trying out new changes that will be implemented next year.

However, they are only minor changes. Principal Josh Cooley said these changes are to improve our school. Principal Cooley said, “We are in the works of testing.” They will test these changes out possibly in February or sometime during this semester, but nothing is set yet.

This is not a district change, these are just changes the school decided on. Cooley said, “They [the scheduling committee] are trying to have planning period for teachers so that they can collaborate together to get the support they need in order to support students better.”

As of right now, Cooley has a scheduling committee to look into how we can make our schedules different. There will be one big change they are going to try doing one lunch instead of A and B lunches. There will also be a home room to take care of topics that relate to voting for homecoming royalty and announcements , and they are related to housekeeping tasks doesn’t get in the way of our other classes.

“There may be lessons of current events or time for help from teachers, kind of like freshman seminar,” Cooley said, “Over the course of the last few years there has been a scheduling committee put together to look at some changes, but we could never find one that worked well.”

The attendance rate for freshman is low, and Cooley agrees that having a sticker on your ID indicating your off periods would help the attendance rate. The stickers are only to help security guards and teachers know where students are suppose to be. According to Cooley, “I think it will have a good impact on our school and it makes it easier on us” [and] “the sticker ID will help because some kids take advantage”.

Assistant principal Pat Rock also said the ID idea will help and said, “We are not trying to limit things for students, just trying to make sure everybody is where they are suppose to be.” Rock also said his ultimate goal is for everyone to have a safe place to learn.

Even with all the other changes senior prank and ditch day won’t be affected, despite the rumors them being banned. Cooley is allowing the seniors to do a prank this year, as long as he has the traditional re-approval. Also for senior ditch day, Cooley stated he didn’t hear anything about not having a senior ditch day ,so everything is going to still happen just as long the seniors let him know.