Rockies Have a Strong Start

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rockies Have a Strong Start

Brendan Jordan, Sports Editor

The Colorado Rockies finished the 2016-17 season in the postseason with a lot of hope for their future.

It’s about time that people can start talking about the Rockies becoming a powerful force. For too many years, our beloved Rockies have been at the bottom of the standings, and it seemed as if the postseason was only a dream. However, with development of their young players and management putting together a good bullpen, the Rockies, led by all-star third baseman Nolan Arenado, are solidifying themselves as a force to be reckoned with for this MLB season.

The Rockies pulled themselves into the postseason last year, playing the Arizona Diamondbacks in the NL Wildcard game. Unfortunately the result of the game was bad for Colorado,, as the season ended on an 11-8 loss. However, the Rockies were hopeful for their next season, as they had tasted the postseason and wanted more.

“We did a lot of things right, we took a big step forward,” said Rockies’ center fielder Charlie Blackmon following the loss in the wildcard game last season. Blackmon won the NL batting title and set a Major League record for most RBIs from a leadoff batter in the 2016-17 season.

The Rockies were faced with some free agent problems over this off season. After losing catcher Jonathan Lucroy to the Oakland Athletics and pitcher Pat Neshek to the Philadelphia Phillies, both of whom were trade deadline assets picked up by the Rockies last year, they had two big veteran spots to fill. They went out and signed a familiar face; former catcher for the Rockies from 2006-2011, Chris Iannetta, to a two-year deal. Additionally, they also signed right-handed pitchers Brian Shaw and Wade Davis to fill Neshek’s spot.

The Rockies’ season has started off really well so far. As of May 8, they hold a record of 20 wins and 15 losses, holding onto the second place seed in the NL West.

The Rockies seem to have set their sights on a strong regular season and a long playoff run this year. For the first time in a while, I’m happy to say that Rockies baseball has been exciting to watch so far this season, and I’m really looking forward to the rest of the year. If Arenado and Blackmon continue to lead the team in the right direction, there will be nothing but success in the future for Colorado baseball. The days of struggling and sitting in the basement of the MLB are in the rearview mirror. The future for the Rockies is brighter than the sun.